Thursday, June 16, 2005

Camp Experience Part IV

I am not an emotional man. Few things bring me to tears, anger, exuberant celebration, etc. But there are some things that one experiences that draw out our innermost emotions. And unless you possess a heart comparable with Pharaoh’s, you have a reaction.

Such was the case after watching “Hotel Rwanda” while at camp. I am thoroughly changed to say the least. Here I am over a week after the fact, and I still have trouble putting words to what I am feeling. But my emotional outpouring could be at an all time high. Words such as anger, shame, frustration, and sadness begin to describe my state of mind.

I have known for a long time that atrocities have been going on in the world, especially in Africa. But to see it so vividly painted was almost too much. The most distressing phrase from the movie that encapsulated the average American mindset was the following (paraphrased from memory): “You hear about what happens and you say ‘What a shame.’ Then you go on eating your supper.” I can’t tell you how profound and accurate that is. We see some stories reported on the news and go, “Well that sucks, but I can’t do anything about it.” Dammit all, people are being slaughtered for arbitrary reasons, and we bitch about gas prices. It is just too much sometimes. Too much. Maybe when I get a better handle on it I will write more. I guess that is it for now.

1 comment:

ejs said...

I sit silently and nod in affirmation... on the film as well as your thoughts