Thursday, August 18, 2005

Baby Dedication


Yesterday for Elijah’s 1st birthday party we had a baby dedication service included in it. I am not overly big on them, but it was nice nonetheless. The following are some snippits from it with some thoughts to follow:

To Sam & Carrie: We are so glad that you bring Elijah today, sharing your joy with us! You are parents! This child=s life indeed reveals God=s gracious blessing. As Samuel was to Elkanah and Hannah, so Elijah Samuel is to you.

Your heavenly father entrusts Elijah to you. This child=s physical and emotional care matter deeply to God, but his spiritual nurture is even more significant! Will you, as believers, choose to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength?
Sam & Carrie: We will.

To Sam & Carrie: The Lord commands believers to impress the love of God upon their children, talking about God=s commandments at home, teaching God=s grace. As parents, will you live in such a way that Elijah understands both holiness and forgiveness?
Sam & Carrie: We will.

To Sam & Carrie: Do you pledge that you will prepare Elijah=s spirit so that he may one day choose Christ as his own Savior?
Sam & Carrie: We will.

To Elijah:
Welcome, baby Elijah! Sam and Carrie chose this name specifically because of its meaning. Elijah means “My God is Yahweh.” Samuel means “Asked of God.” May this be your heritage as well. May serving God always be your life’s goal and may you have such a strong relationship with Him that you can come before him in confidence and be willing to respond to His calling.
_____________________________________________________________

There are a few things that struck me from it. First, the calling to “live in such a way that Elijah understands both holiness and forgiveness” struck me as profound. The paradox of perfection and grace has always intrigued me. But now with a child it is even more interesting. How do I teach my child to strive for holiness and at the same time be willing to forgive and be forgiven? I guess that is something I will figure out.
The second thing was the call to “prepare Elijah=s spirit so that he may one day choose Christ as his own Savior.” Too many Christians just inherit their parents’ faiths. At the same time, I can’t force my child to believe and live out his faith. Instead, I can just prepare the soil, and let God do the growing.
Finally, the last thing with the names. That is the only part that Carrie and I wrote. It meant the most to us because his namesake was involved. If he can live up to his name, I will have done my job as a parent.

No comments: