Monday, November 07, 2005

Interpretive Lens

I had an epiphany/revelation/breakthrough of some sort on Friday. Perhaps it is nothing new to you, but it was something to me. I have been wondering for some time now why people do not grow spiritually. Or, to put it more specifically, why don’t people’s understanding of the Bible go beyond a surface level reading? Many people have been in the church for a long time. They have heard countless sermons and lessons. And yet, when a question is asked in a small group all you hear are standard sorts of answers that don’t really mean much—“religions fluff.”

As I considered it, it seems that much of what people are taught in churches is morality. They Bible seems to be little more than a book that contains a blue print of how to live. Though this may be true, it is so much more than that. I think as I look at it that the depth of the Bible is not being taught. In other words, the interpretive lens that is being used by most church people revolves around figuring our right and wrong instead of cultivating a vibrant relationship with God.

So what’s the solution? I’m not sure, but I think it involves giving people a different lens with which they can read and interpret the Bible. Too often people run to the Bible looking to justify their own preconceived notions instead of letting the Bible speak on its own. And at those times when they do come seeking, often they can’t break through the surface of the text to something deeper because they have no concept of context. I guess I am proposing that the church needs to do more education in exegesis. Every church member should be equipped with the tools to understand the background, context, and genre of any given passage. This includes historical stuff. This includes rituals and practices of the people involved. This includes original language information.

At this point you may say, it will never work. Most people don’t care about such things. I disagree. I see how the people respond when someone puts a passage in context by giving just a tiny bit of extra biblical information. Granted, I have also seen preachers ramble on and lose their audience. But when the context is presented well, it opens up minds and illuminates passages. I also know firsthand that people are interested. I teach a small group of Jr. High and High School boys. We have been going through the book of John. I don’t bring awesome hooks and games to our group. I bring a good understanding of background and they eat it up. The ask questions, seek clarification, and desire more. I even have used Greek and they don’t think it’s boring!

But I am doing all the work in that situation. The goal is to get each person to the point where s/he can do the work him/herself. Teaching and applying exegesis is like getting a new lens prescription. It makes things so much clearer, crisper and more enjoyable. Now comes the hard part—making such a dream reality.

No comments: