Monday, April 17, 2006

Victory in Jesus

Yesterday was of course Easter and ended the season of Lent. I gave up pop, soda, and coke (depending upon what part of the country you reside) as well as online poker. I really wanted to give up most online activities, but I am getting free high-speed internet service, so I decided to wait until that ran out. I learned a few things from the experience.

First, I was addicted to sugary sweet carbonated beverages. I loved drinking Strawberry Fanta for breakfast, Mountain Dew for lunch, and IBC Cream Soda with dinner. And for the first few weeks it was tough to refrain. There was still pop in the house, and not just the nasty diet stuff that Carrie drinks. There was a 12 pack of Strawberry Fanta sitting in the cupboard. I was tempted regularly to have one. And even though technically, Sundays are not included in the fast (they serve as a day of celebration), I decided to resist and be committed to a strict fast.

Secondly, as it went along, a strange thing started to happen—I began to stink. Literally, I had BO for no apparent reason. I wasn’t sweating. I was maintaining good hygiene. But I stunk. I suppose it was all the impurities oozing out of me. It taught me a spiritual lesson as well. Ridding ourselves of sin and addictions take a while and we though we may be pure in God’s eyes, we still deal with the consequences of our actions.

Finally, I need to give up more trivial activities. Instead of playing poker, my time was better used. Perhaps when my free internet runs out I will do just that. But don’t worry, I will still post here, because it makes me continue to think and process things. Yes, my one faithful reader will be pleased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be pleased indeed. Haha. I finished Velvet Elvis something like a month ago, and I haven't lost it. It was good.

Later, Sara

Sam said...

Thanks to the two of you.

Sara - at some point I will get around to critiquing "Velvet Elvis" and look forward to your thoughts (both online and in person).

Ryan - I look forward to new material on your blog. I shouldn't complain. It's only been 3 months.