Monday, July 24, 2006

Monastic Life

“Either we learn to find our Lord in ordinary, everyday life, or else we shall never find Him.” Saint Josemaria

I read an article that came from Kevin Miller who was asked to advise a Sunday School curriculum company about the following: “What would you recommend for spiritual formation in our time?” His response was simple: “The Monastery.” They didn’t get it. They, like so many of us when pointing to times of spiritual growth look at certain experiences at conferences, worship services, etc. But how many of us consider the impact of personal prayer, service, and biblical fellowship (koinonia)?

Aside: I have wanted to spend time in a monastery for quite a while not. Various people I know have gone and it has been amazing for them. The simplicity. The focus on the presence of God. The destruction of idols and distractions. It would be good for all of us to spend such a week away.

But we don’t need a monastery to grow spiritually. Another quote from Saint Josemaria: “Each day be conscious of your duty to be a saint. A saint! And that doesn’t mean strange things. It means a daily struggle in the interior life and in heroically fulfilling your duty right through to the end.”

With this in mind, Miller then posed the following set of questions that blew me away:
“What would happen to your life if you lived in close geographical community and relationship with other people; if you lived in submission to authority; if you practiced silence and simplicity and discipline; if you regularly read the Bible and prayed and meditated on what you read; if you made study part of your life; and if you worked hard in some daily occupation, seeing your labor as full of dignity and offering it to God?”

I think we would all answer – “Spiritual growth would occur.” Such an atmosphere would be awesome. And it is the biblical model that has been adapted and practiced for centuries. Yes, monasteries are sealed off from the world, but Acts talks about this type of community existing the in the heart of Jewish and Roman culture.

Spiritual growth through committed Christian communities is the best life, but it takes work. It takes practice. It takes dedication. I start today doing as much of above as possible. Who will join me? Who has practical ways to put the above in the practice?

6 comments:

Regan Clem said...

Lindsay and I were talking the other day and thought it would be wonderful to have a group of people who decided to buy 5 acres (or so) of land and have them all share a center courtyard where we built a swimming pool and all other fun activity things. This would be best if it was the center of the church then (thinking in house church terms then). I don't know why I share this but we thought it came to my head when reading your post.

Regan Clem said...

I didn't mention that we would build our houses surrounding the inner courtyard. Sorry. I wish there was an edit thing on replies.

Sam said...

The idea of a commune is appealing for a variety of reasons. However, it has the drawback of creating a group of Christians that are quarantened off from the world. Living a monastic life ideally has the benefits of a commune without the isolationist stance.

Anonymous said...

There is a monestery about 45 minutes from me that I have retreated to on occasion for a day of solitude, prayer and personal Bible study. The experience has been refreshing, rich and rewarding. My hosts have been very gracious and the "cost" was simply to drop something in the donation box. Dan J.

Regan Clem said...

What I was proposing really wasn't a commune. It could be in a town. It could be anywhere. I would describe it more as a community center rather than a commune. Although that is what communes were when they first started, that isn't what they are anymore.

My hope would be that people in the community would feel welcomed to come over and also hang out in our community courtyard. You could design it in such a way that it was welcoming to those outside of the houses surrounding it. Maybe not have a house blocking it from the road or something like that.

Regan Clem said...

I think I'll write a blog on it tomorrow.