Friday, July 21, 2006

Worship Ministry Vision

As a worship leader, I consistently evaluate what I am doing and what I am accomplishing in the Sunday Morning service. Obviously, facilitating praise and worship of God is at the top. But is that it? And, how tangible is such a goal? I often get frustrated, feeling the need to appease tastes while trying to accomplish said goals.

Then one day I had an epiphany. It was as if God spoke directly to me. Was it a burning bush? Not so much. It was however, a chicken. I was in Zakby’s (you northerners would not know about this restaurant yet). While enjoying a quality plate of chicken strips, I noticed the official mission statement:

“We aim to consistently create encore experiences that enrich lives one person at a time. In English, that means we do everything humanly possible so that you will come back again and again and again and, well, you get the idea.”

While reading their goal, I was struck – that should be my goal as a worship leader. Is not worship an experience between the God of the Universe and His creation that enriches our lives? Shouldn’t worship be so appealing that we constantly come back wanting more and more of the presence of God?

But with all that being said, accomplishing such a goal is not all that easy. I think it requires a healthy blend of music, Scripture, reflection, visuals, and various intangibles (let’s call this the Holy Spirit). All these things and more work together to bring us into the presences of God where we can’t help but be changed, enriched, and encouraged to want more.

No comments: