Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Shrug it off

I hadn’t planned on posting today, but I got my ire up at an ETSU basketball game. Now let me say that I don’t have much of a fashion sense, and I don’t particularly care about fashion because I consider it to be a waste of time and money. But seriously, who designs some of this crap! Who sits around saying, this will look good. And then, who agrees with them?!?

Case in point, the new phenomenon “shrugs”. As the picture depicts, basically, they look like clothes that have shrunk in the wash and should fit a 6 year old, not a physically mature (or maturing) woman. Which is the problem. They look stupid and silly, but they also serve a much more devious purpose. Girls, do you understand why they are popular? They accentuate your bust line. It causes many guys to consider what you would look like with only the shrug on. Parents (moms especially), I know you may think they are “cute” but you are killing us males. So I implore you. If your little girl goes out and buys these outfits, make them take them back. I DON’T CARE HOW CUTE THEY LOOK!! You are contributing to the delinquency of the male species.

Maybe I am a prude or maybe I struggle with lust. Whatever the case, I think it is inconsistent for women to complain about being seen as sex symbols and then turning around and wearing (or letting their daughters wear) clothes like this. They are not jhust stupid, they are detrimental holiness.

2 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

I know I usually shy away from saying something like this, because I fear people drawing conclusions (true or not) about what I think about. I'm glad you said it. Perhaps this should be a call for males to speak the truth in love and great humility about what these clothes are really about.

Sam said...

As a youth minister it is tough to be around girls sometimes. They dress more provacatively than they should, and they know (at least in the back of their minds) what they are doing. Yes, it may be cute. But they also know it will get them noticed. Unfortunately such attire attracts those only concerned with removing said clothes.