Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Enacting Change the "24" Way

I have just begun watching 24 this season. Though entertaining, highly interesting, and action packed, I've noticed an ethical and moral problem. Jack regularly puts people in situations that makes them choose the lesser of 2 evils, and if they don't choose the lesser one, they are going to destroy the world. Then there are other times when he switches reverses morality. The right choice becomes wrong, and vice versa.

For example, last night he expected the pilot of a plane to let him out of captivity so that he could save the world. When the pilot refused, Jack took control of some wires and attempted to try to bring down the plane to force the pilot's hand. The pilot said something to the effect of, "Stop that or you will kill us all." Jack replied with his pet saying, "With all due respect, if these people die it will be on your head." What? Did I miss something? Jack is trying to bring down the plane. Jack is forcing the Pilot to do something that is unacceptable by FAA standards, and it is the pilot's fault? What a manipulator. I know he has the save the world. I know he is doing what he thinks is best for the country. But his methods are devious.

I have regularly engaged some on the GLCC Forum about this issue--is something always a sin. An oft-used example is a man stealing bread for his starving family. I sort of waffle back and forth. In a perfect, non-fallen world, such situations would not come about. But that is not the case. There are poor people who should be taken care of but or not. On the other hand, don't such actions just perpetuate sin? And when I see a real example of this ideology in Jack Bauer's actions, I want no part of it, because those he is trying to stop are using the same logic. Both think they are doing what is best for the country. What about the individual they force into a moral dilemma? What about those they force into a life and death decision? Is that better?

But of course we do live in a fallen world that we are desperately seeking to restore. And I wonder if our little attempts to do what is right are enough? Is the Jack Bauer way the only way to enact real change? Or is being salt and light enough?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»