Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Dream Wild

Having just returned from our annual excursion to Gatlinburg, TN with around 3500 youth, I have a few observations and thoughts that I would like to share over the next couple of days. Some good. Some not so good.

The first thought stems from the theme: “Dream Wild.” I loved the theme. It was taken from Ephesians 3:20 in the Message Version: “God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!” The goal was to empower these teenagers to take seriously their usefulness in God’s Kingdom. It was more than this sort of simplistic (and I would say erroneous) thinking that is spewed to students like, “If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything,” or “If you try hard enough, you will succeed.” I am sorry, but that sort of thinking is wrong because it doesn’t take into account our human limitations. I will never play a professional sport, no matter how hard I train and work. I will never man a flight to the moon because I have bad eyesight.

But, when we talk about Kingdom matters, our limitations can be thrown to the wind, because we have supernatural aid. We can Dream Wild because we have a God who accompanies dreams with abilities. He causes the mumblers to be eloquent, the screechers to be singers, the lame to walk, the blind to see, the despondent to have hope, the outcast to be accepted, the loser to have purpose, and all of us to have a part in His wonderful Kingdom.

This sort of thinking is the gospel. It is good news to a depressed, pessimistic world full of hatred and bitterness. It is good news to me as I deal with roadblock after roadblock in my ministry. It is good news to those of you who have given up on the church, on your marriage, on your family, or on your life.

And so I ask, what is your wildest dream that only God can fulfill? What do you want to see happen if you could reshape your life?

2 comments:

Sam said...

Good to hear Tom. Oh, and it will take a miracle for you to get married. Just kidding!

Anonymous said...

mobygunner after reading your blog it reminded me to update mine. My passion for articles runs deep. If you are like me business is a constant; But a respite from it gives me a fresh outlook. My http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html has a similar theme and articles AND articles plays important roles too. Football especially for most fans and partners is a highlight in the autumn and articles create great gatherings. Thanks for your Dream Wild.