Tuesday, January 25, 2005

What? I can't hear you! The TV's too loud!

I know that I rant quite a bit here at my site. It was not intended to be such a blog. But I have to vent to someone, and quite frankly, my wife gets sick of it. So here goes another one.

I enjoy watching TV. There are quite a few shows that I am a big fan of (Lost, Alias). I also have a decent sound system to watch these shows with, though I have had to tone it down since the birth of Elijah. Loud noises hurt little ears. Now, for some reason, certain shows, in fact most shows make it difficult to hear the dialogue without turning the sound up a little bit. That is no problem, because the music, sound effects, and other noise don’t usually get too loud.


But then the commercials come, AND THE SOUND LEVEL INCREASES DRAMATICALLY. It is like I just walked into Grand Central Station. The volume level difference is incalculable. I have to have my finger ready on the remote or I can guarantee that a sleeping baby will be startled awake, not to mention the damage to my own ear drums. In addition, I get frustrated when a show has a dramatic moment followed by a loud commercial hawking their annoying product. Why are commercials so much louder than the shows? I suppose it has to do with advertising, but it is annoying nonetheless.

The same things happen when I switch stations. Imagine a sound scale. One channel is set at say, a 5 and then the next station a 3, and then a 7. Up and down the volume goes with no telling when it will stop or be set at the appropriate listening levels. Can somebody please level the volumes? If I can do it when recording a CD from MP3s with a $50 program, I have to believe that TV stations can do it too. I understand that volumes fluxuate depending on scenes in shows, but this fluxuation is intolerable. Or perhaps, someone could come up with a chip for a TV that helps with this. I set a range that I want the volume to be at, and no matter what the show or station I flip to, the TV automatically adjusts.

Until such improvements occur, I must remain vigilant on the remote control, careful to enjoy my entertainment at the appropriate levels.

4 comments:

Fabian said...

I too have a good system. Movies are the most fustrating for me. The dialogue is quite then the music transition comes up and it's ear piercing. I feel you man!!

Sam said...

fabs - thanks for the support, though with the graduation from college and exit from the dorms, I don't let guys feel me anymore for any reason. It was just a phase anyway.

Anonymous said...

Many televisions have a 'volume stabilizer' or 'volume regulator' build into their circutry. For those who can't afford that technology, or just want to add it. They make these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FEJMQP8x450/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=209VR1&g=15270

Enjoy...
Bunce

Sam said...

Bunce -
way to be. You always come through in the tech department.