Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Stork Mail

She’s here!! My little girl – Sophia Caris. The first granddaughter on either side. It only took 7 tries. Fortunately, my sister is also having a daughter in a couple of months so she will not be alone. Everything went extremely well. For those “in the know”, Carrie went from a 5 to full delivery in 40 minutes. Unbelievably fast.

This baby is quite different than Elijah. Elijah was wide-awake, wanting entertainment and food immediately. Sophia, though she has the biggest lungs in the nursery, has slept a ton and really does not enjoy keeping her eyes open.

We have been teaching Elijah about a new baby, and how to treat it. He helped me roll Sophia into the room to see mom, and then he laid down on the bed with his head against the baby and said, “Nice” with a bit of a lisp. After poking her in the eye and saying, “Baby – eye,” he hopped down and ran around the room for a while. I think things will be just fine. (I have pictures of it all on my website).

A small note on the name selection. I am a big language guy, so the name has to have significance. Sophia Caris is Greek for “Wisdom” and “Grace” – two of the things I love about my wife. Hopefully Sophia will emulate her mother and live up to her namesake.

Carrie and I didn’t say it until after the birth, but we both really wanted a girl. Yes, we would have been fine with a boy and have felt blessed, but something about a girl to go along with our boy is awesome.

Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

No comments: