Friday, December 17, 2004

The Death of Christmas

It’s official—Christmas has been ruined for me. The joy of gift giving, and lights, and all that crap has been turned to deep cynicism. I get irritable, angry, and downright hostile during this season. Many reasons could be identified, but the straw that broke my back came from television.

I have always enjoyed songs of the season—classically done Christmas songs (you can refer to my post on Christmas specials for more on that). But here I am, enjoying a show on TV, and I am bombarded by ridiculous renditions of these songs. I am sorry, but a punk version of “Joy to the World” is not an improvement.

But there is always something worse, like taking a Christmas Jingle to hawk your crappy product. Yes, I am talking to you OLD NAVY!!!
You can’t make leg warmers more appealing just because you change the words to “Jingle Bells.” Though I have never purchased anything from Old Navy, I have begun a personal boycott that I will NEVER buy anything. Their normal commercials piss me off. But this latest travesty is intolerable. I don’t intend to bring down this corporate giant. I don’t expect anyone to join me. I just want to sleep at night knowing that I don’t support such blatant disregard for anything sacred just to sell some more worthless crap probably made by oppressed Taiwanese children. Nobody needs your products. I sure don’t want any of them. And I don’t appreciate you ruining Christmas for me. Bah Humbug!


3 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

Jingle Bells... sacred?

I bet you don't like Old Navy just becasue they don't make pants in 42 L / 16 W.

Barry said...

I was just at the Old Navy in downtown Chicago, and this is not a joke, I bought there Christmas music CD cause I liked the store music. Sorry dude.

Sam said...

Shannon - you caught me. Jingle Bells is not sacred. My angst all stems from my preoccupation with my Ethiopian Body shape. And Barry...what can I say. I hate you. Oh, and good post on Fabs blog.