Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Spiderwoman



When I was growing up, I collected comics, mainly Punisher and Spiderman. So, when the Spiderman movies came out, I was interested. I saw the first one, and it was decent. But then I saw Spiderman 2, and I have to say…IT BLEW!!! It was one of those movies that you thought would never end, but you had already wasted too much time not to finish it out. The following are the reasons why I encourage you not to watch Spiderman 2:

Having grown up on the comic, I know that there is a relational element to the story. Peter was always dealing with Mary Jane, her relationship with him and Flash Gordon, his relationship with Aunt May. And though such relationships play into the storyline of the comic book and the Peter’s actions, in the end the story is mostly about a super hero. Well, not so in the second movie. Probably 90% of the movie was relational drivel. Most of the dialogue was as follows:

Mary Jane: “Peter, I just don’t get you.”
Peter: “I’m sorry” (Just tell her)
MJ: “Don’t you see that I love you?”
PP: “I…don’t love you” (Just tell her)
MJ: “You don’t love me?”
PP: “No.” (What are you doing?)
MJ: “I don’t understand you.”

At which point some cataclysmic event happens to break up this wonderful exchange. The worst part is that this seems to happen the entire movie!! Oh, the drama. I’m sorry, but I deal with teenagers all the time, and when I watch a movie I want to get away from reality, especially when I am watching a movie about a superhero. Enough is enough. We know your life is hard Peter. Get over it and fight some crime.

Anyway, there were some redeeming qualities in the movie. Aunt May’s speech on what a real hero is was great. She said that there is a little hero inside all of us, and what really distinguishes a hero is that s/he is able to sacrifice their own ambitions to help others (a paraphrase). Quality stuff. Also, the animation was great. It didn’t look overly cartoony, but attempted to maintain the semblance of actual filming.

So, you are welcome to disagree with me about the quality of the movie. But, if it were up to me, save your money for “Electra.”


PS - If you want to download a Spiderman Template for your blog, go here: http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/bugle/weblogs/downloads.php

2 comments:

Fabian said...

Sam. I've never disagreed with you more. I loved Spider-man 2. I thought that Spider-man 1 was like watching Power-rangers.

This post hurt Sam. It hurt bad.

Sam said...

Thanks for the "expert" support. By the way, if you want to see what the hell Tom was talking about, support one of your local "Clem's Collectables" today.