Sunday, May 08, 2005

Birdie!!!


I don’t play much golf. Maybe 5 rounds a year. I am hoping to play more, but with my back and schedule that is about all I can muster. But I did play on Saturday, and I registered my first ever birdie. Let me make it clear — this was a real birdie. No mulligans, no second chances on the putt once I got the read. It was the real thing.

The hole was a 325-yard par four that curves to the left, obscuring the pin from the tee. I blasted the drive down there. Chipped up onto the green nicely, and put home a downhill left to right 20 footer. For a duffer like myself, this was a big deal. It was thrilling. When the ball dropped into the cup, I yelled out, “Birdie!!!”

Though I only shot well on about 4 of the 9 holes we played, it was worth going out and feeling sore in the morning. May the little things in life bring us joy, because for some of us that is all we have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my first (and only) birdie. A very thrilling experience.

Almost as good as a hole in one in disc golf.

Bunce

Sam said...

Would you believe, I have never gotten a hole in one on a sanctioned course in disc golf? It is one of my failings as a man. Maybe one day (tomorrow if God is gracious to me).