Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Hannah’s Heart—Our Heritage Part 2

What do I know about being a mother? Not much. But I know a good mother when I see one. When I read instances of women like Hannah I see what it takes to raise a godly child. I think we can learn much from this story. Whether you are a women or a man, a mother, a child, a woman who has known the loss of a child, a woman who has known the feelings of futility that come from an inability to bear children, or someone who has never had the opportunity to have children, this story speaks to all of us. Hannah’s heart gives us an example that if we emulate can leave a lasting heritage.

The first thing I notice about Hannah is her faith. Year after year went by, and though some of her hopes never came to fruition, she refused to cease worshipping God. She would make the trek each year to celebrate with the rest of her family, despite the pain that she endured. And though each year seemed to bring more disappointment, she steadfastly prayed to God seeking His will in her life. She was a woman of faith. Though her circumstances may have dictated otherwise, she continued to keep God at the forefront of her life and believe that He could overcome anything, even barrenness.

There is an illustration that you have probably heard before, but I couldn’t resist:
A man fell off a cliff, but managed to grab a tree limb on the way down. The following conversation ensued: "Is anyone up there?"
"I am here. I am the Lord. Do you believe me?"
"Yes, Lord, I believe. I really believe, but I can't hang on much longer."
"That's all right, if you really believe you have nothing to worry about. I will save you. Just let go of the branch."
A moment of pause, then the man said: "Is anyone else up there?"

God is still in the business of doing things that seem impossible, improbable, and impractical. Faith means, whether I am visibly delivered or not, I will stick to my belief that God is love. As people of faith continue to pour their entire selves into this God, He responds with gifts of love and blessings. Sometimes those blessings come in a physical form like cures from diseases and illnesses. Other times they are spiritual and help us grow in our faith. And often, he uses our hardship and pain to bring blessings to others. If you are sitting here today, dealing with frustration and disappointment because of a circumstance in your life, God is calling you to keep faith. Whether it is a broken relationship, the pain of the loss of a loved one, frustration over your place in life, or whatever may be disturbing you today, God is calling you back to faith. God’s ways, though hidden to us, are often revealed in the way we he uses our faith in the lives of others. As Hebrews 11:1 tells us, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hannah epitomized this kind of faith. May we live that same kind of faith out, and pass it on to those who will come after us.

No comments: