Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Lesson Learned

Today was the last day of my Old Testament Survey class. The students took the final and left. As I reflect over the semester, I can’t help but be reminded of the third day of class when there was quite a confrontation between a couple of students and myself about the historical accuracy of the Genesis creation account, specifically did Adam and Eve actually exist. It was a pretty good discussion, but it taught me a valuable lesson. Though I think I am making myself clear, sometimes people still don’t understand what I am talking about. Some of the students went from the discussion about this historicity to saying, “So the Bible is not true.” Which of course is far from my point of view. Of course I think the Bible is true, but does not have to be based purely on historical accuracy in order to be so. But that is a separate topic I have covered previously and ad nauseam on the GLCC board. Again, just because the words I speak or even write sound good in my head, they may not in other’s heads. So, I recommit to clarity and precision as much as possible. At the same time, I wish people would seek clarification if they are confused instead of just assuming that what they are hearing is correct. Such patience and attempts at understanding would go a long way in getting people on the same page.

2 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

It is good to realize that we need to be thorough with our communication, especially with controversial ideas. As far as others being open and really trying to understand what you mean... that's a pipe-dream. That's hard work that people instinctively will not want to do without being deeply motivated to protect the relationship. This will not happen if they do not already have one with you.

You have to realize that these kids have been taught that to beleive the Bible is true, you have to accept the whole thing as literal. They are taught that there are those in academia that try to "dillute the truth by making it allegorical." we have had four years of critical study under a great and wise prof before we even started considering such possibilities. Paul sheltered us from a lot of stuff he didn't think we were ready to discuss. I remember him getting so frustrated at him saying things like "Ask me that after three years of seminary and we will talk." He knew what he was doing.

shannoncaroland said...

I meant that I got frustrated, not him.