Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Seeing God Through Different Eyes


My newest favorite artist is Matisyahu. He is a Hip-hop/Reggae musician who just happens to also be a Hassidic Jew. He has a great flow, good beats and music, and his words are very thought provoking. You can check out a video of him on the Jimmy Kimel Live show here (stick around for the interview afterward).

And I think the reason I like him so much is because of his lyrics. They remind me or even reveal to me aspects of God that I don’t normally focus on. As a Christian, my approach to God is often framed by the cross, which is not a bad thing. However, the cross which clearly depicts God’s grace, love, sacrifice, and forgiveness just tells part of the story. God has been acting and revealing himself to humanity since the beginning, and the cross is just one part. Granted, as Christians we would probably say it is the largest part, but we still cannot discount the other qualities of God’s character. Perhaps this is why I am so adamant about studying the Old Testament (which, especially in this discussion, might better be termed “The Hebrew Scriptures”).

All this is to say, God is so big that he breaks out of the boxes we try to put Him into, and defies any of our definitions. Yet, we continually try to describe Him, and should continue to. After all, He is a personal God.

From Matisyahu’s "Aish Tamid" (Perpetual Flame)

Aish tamid eternally
A fire burns continuously
Wondering where you been
Won't you come on home to me?

No comments: