Tuesday, March 22, 2005

World Water Day

Today is World Water Day. On this day, “States were invited to devote the Day, as appropriate in the national context, to concrete activities such as the promotion of public awareness through the publication and diffusion of documentaries and the organization of conferences, round tables, seminars and expositions related to the conservation and
development of water resources.” Sounds like a lot of meetings talking about what is wrong without any action. Sounds like the majority of the board meetings I attend.

Despite my cynicism of the implementation of World Water Day, I think this is a great thing to shoot for, but beyond the scope of our experience here in the US. We don’t know what it is like to be without running water, or even an abundance of water. After all we have the largest amount of fresh water in the Great Lakes. We have technology that can send water anywhere at any time. We don’t know what it is like to bathe in the same body of water as the cattle, or to have to boil our water to avoid impurities. We don’t know what it is like to have to walk 5 miles every day to the nearest clean water holding tank. So I applaud and salute the efforts of this day and the impetus behind it.

But it got me to thinking. I hear about environmental things like this regularly, but I never hear how they are actually observed. Does anyone plant a tree on Arbor Day? I don’t. Does anyone still recycle? I do somewhat. Does anyone know how much waste is produced daily? It is a bunch.

All this is to say, we have failed God and His creation. It is our responsibility to each other and to God to help the environment flourish. I am by no means a tree hugger, but I don’t think everything should disposable either. It is a travesty to see how much we waste. But what is the solution? We are shackled by our own culture that cares little for helping situations, but they are ready to piss and moan when gas prices skyrocket and now it takes $50 to fill up their gas guzzling SUV. Most people only care about the environment when it affects their bottom line, i.e. their pocket book.

Our concern for the world around us goes beyond our selfish enjoyment of it, but goes back a divine mandate to care for it. Any ideas on how we can actually accomplish such a lofty goal would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cloth diapers

Sam said...

Carrie and I debated whether to use cloth diapers when Elijah came. But I wonder which is worse - using more water or gaining more trash?