Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Decision 2004


You may have come here seeking my thoughts on the election. But you will not get them...today. Because even with all the questions about voting that have plagued America for the last few weeks and months, I have had a bigger decision on my mind. My cable costs have gone up $30 in 3 years. That is unacceptable. But what are my other options? Rabbit ears or the Dish. So we went for it. We “cut the chord” as they say. We dumped Charter Cable for DISH Network Satellite. Now we get approximately the same service for $10 cheaper a month. Let me list the good and the bad. First the good:

Cheaper, and cost effective-we can use the $120/year on diapers or some other expense.
Way cooler than cable-we got a DVR, which is beyond awesome. No more crappy video tapes.
Higher-quality reception means higher quality video capture for me.
Picture in Picture-Finally! I can keep an eye on my sports while Carrie watches her “Murder She Wrote”
Easy Channel Navigation
No Hidden Fees screwing me each month.

Bad:
Annoyingly big dish on the deck (see picture) marring our wonderful view. We thought it was going to be a small dish on the roof, but because we wanted local channels we were stuck with the pictured dish.
We lost TechTV (my geek station) and FitTV (Carrie’s geek station)
Another Remote (I don’t care as much as Carrie does)
We have to learn all new channel numbers

Carrie is a little hesitant, but I am already a big fan. She will come around. Will I watch more or less TV? We will have to wait and see. Either way, I believe we made the right decision. Now if I can only justify it by using it in ministry in some way. Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I would have known that you were going to dish I would have given you my old equipment including the DVR.
We just got rid of the Dish because of the cost and my inability to 'use it for ministry' as I also had hoped to do, good luck with that.

BTW you can get the smaller dish and hook an antenna right to it for local stations. Ours works great.
Only problem is you can't DVR the local stations. But there was no way I was putting that honkin' dish on my roof (in fact they refused to).

However, now that they're gone you can easily move it and hook it to something solid on your roof (ie. a stone fireplace) It's really quite simple to get the signal pointed in the right direction.
There are several websites that show you step by step how to do it. Google for it sometime.
Enjoy your dish, we did, for a time. I think now I'm going to steal the HDD out of the DVR and make my own TIVO.
Bunce