Thursday, November 25, 2004

The Tri-Universe and the Trinity

Consider space, matter, and time in turn. Since matter is linked to space and time, they form a tri-universe. The universe as a whole is a space-matter-time continuum. Space is length, breadth, and depth. Time is future, present, and past. And matter is cause, event, and consequence. Throughout the universe we see this recurring relationship of source, manifestation, and meaning. And this same relationship can shed light onto the Trinity.

Thus, the basic laws of nature, and the triune dimensionality of natural processes, rather than discrediting God and His primeval creation, emphatically witness to the fact of creation and the nature of the Creator. God is Father in generation, Son in declaration, Spirit in appropriation.

Morris does admit that this does not prove that the Creator of this Tri-universe is a triune God, but with all these worldwide reflections on the triune nature of the Godhead, he thinks that men should not stumble over the “Biblical revelation” of a Triune God. Though the word “Trinity” is not used in Bible, and though the formulaic “Father, Son and Holy Spirit” comes more from early creeds than the Bible, there is probably enough evidence to support such a theology. I suppose I have held a modal type of understanding of the Trinity, which may fit in well with his definition of the Trinity. I see the Father, Son and Holy Spirit as different manifestations of the same God, and leave the logistics of how it all happens to others.

I guess what intrigued me the most was this fresh view on the Trinity. Though I have considered this paradox of 3 in 1 for many years, it was never quite satisfactory in my mind. I have heard the analogies—the egg with three parts, etc.—but those just didn’t quite do it for me. So I appreciate this new way of looking at things. Let me know what you think or if this has been helpful at all.

Take a close look at the picture. I have found it quite insightful.

The Tri-universe chart

3 comments:

Regan Clem said...

What about the 4th dimension?

Sam said...

What is the 4th dimension?

Regan Clem said...

I just did a google search on "fourth dimension." Lots of stuff came up.

I remember seeing a PBS special about six months ago about a fourth dimension. I can't remember a whole lot because it was somewhat boring (albeit less boring than all of the other things on at the time) and Lindsay kept yelling at me to change the channel. There was some particle (non-scientific word) that they have discovered that appears to travel through some other dimension and appears back in ours. They were arguing that their is a fourth dimension.

I guess, if I wanted to try to say something intelligent, I want to just say that basing the trinity on the three known dimensions might cause people much more difficulty when the discovery of a fourth dimension arrives.