Wednesday, November 17, 2004

The Imitation of Christ Part 3

I think that there are two major aspects of Christ’s life that should be imitated. The first was discussed yesterday—showing love to all. The second has to do with holiness and purity. As Thomas à Kempis writes: “This ought to be our purpose, then: to conquer self, to become stronger each day, to advance in virtue.” When you talk to many people about what it means to be a Christian, they go right to virtue—“I’m a good person.” But even good people have bad in them, and do not reflect Jesus’ commitment to holiness. Sure, they don’t sleep around, get drunk, or carouse with those who do. But, what about the lesser sins of gossip or anger?

Even when we conquer those, I wonder if we fall into a different trap—pride. We see what we have accomplished and take great comfort in it, all the while ignoring God’s call to go deeper. Check out another quote: “Do not be ashamed to serve others for the love of Jesus Christ and to seem poor in this world. Do not be self-sufficient but place your trust in God. Do what lies in your power and God will aid your good will. Put no trust in your own learning nor in the cunning of any man, but rather in the grace of God Who helps the humble and humbles the proud.”

Often times I think that long-time Christians struggle with unfaithfulness. Not so much an act of will against the desires of God but a lack of true faith in God and a recognition of His prominence. That one line, “Do not be self-sufficient but place your trust in God” hits far too close to home for me. I struggle far too much with making sure things go right, and improving the condition of the church I serve by my own power. Where is God in it? Where is the faith in His power to move? Though I should be proactive and do things, I often forget the second part: “God will aid your good will.” If I neglect God’s role in this world and do not put my faith in Him, I will never be like Christ who, despite his doubts, put his whole trust in the plan of the Father.

2 comments:

Regan Clem said...

I can't figure how to exactly phrase what I wanted to say. So excuse me if I get confusing.

Trusting in God seems to only work when you are with a group of people trusting in God. This is on a church level, not just an individual one. You can have a good relationship with God individually and still be in a dead church. However, I don't want to stop there. I don't want to be surrounded by walking corpses. I want to experience God through a community of believers.

I don't know how to get there. Do we just sit patiently and wait? It might not ever happen where we're at and in the process we could lose our devotion. Or do we step out and start a church that doesn't allow minimal Christianity? Do we step out and trust God to bring alongside us a group of believers that aren't going to get hung up on anything but holiness and loving others?

I don't know. That's where my frustration is.

Regan Clem said...

Because I tend to think God wants to see some people living out his plan. I doubt he is getting impatient, but he is waiting for people who are totally committed.