Monday, November 15, 2004

The Imitation of Christ Part 2

In chapter 3 of “The Imitation of Christ,” Thomas à Kempis comes down really hard on those who elevate learning over doing. As he states, “Many often err and accomplish little or nothing because they try to become learned rather than to live well.” As one who has devoted his last 10 years to higher learning, I had to stop and reflect upon what he was getting at. Do I elevate the accumulation of knowledge over acts of grace, charity, and love? No, I think that I do well to balance the two. Although, I am sure that opportunities to serve have been overlooked during these last few years because of my “busy schedule” or low income.

But then, Thomas had to go and get personal. He said, “If men used as much care in uprooting vices and implanting virtues as they do in discussing problems, there would not be so much evil and scandal in the world, or such laxity in religious organizations.” How often do I just discuss problems without working towards resolving them? How often do I sit in meetings and complain as well as hear complaints about the church without seeing action? How often do I focus on everyone else’s downfalls while ignoring the glaring problems in my own life?

This chapter was a call to action. The church has been doing too much talking. It is time to act. It is time to stop brainstorming, and start storming the walls of hatred and oppression that exist in our world. Active Loving is an imitation of Christ.

No comments: